There’s no doubt that kids come with a ton of responsibilities! Keeping up with school activities, athletics, and family obligations while also managing their health – it’s no wonder as parents that sometimes good habits fall by the wayside!
One responsibility that seems to get glossed over in all the hustle and bustle is being proactive with kids’ oral health. For this reason, we are offering a refresher course on what it takes to make sure your kids enjoy the benefits of a problem-free smile:
- Monitor your child’s brushing habits – You will need to brush and floss your child’s teeth until they are about three or four and they can hold the brush themselves. However, you should continue to monitor their oral hygiene habits until they are about eight years old.
- Limit kids’ access to sugary foods and drinks – Sugar starts the cavity-producing process, so be sure you know what’s in the foods and drinks you choose for your child.
- Plan healthy snacks – It takes a little bit of planning, but if you stock up on nothing but nutritious treats, your child will soon learn that healthy foods are a better choice.
- Offer sugarless gum – Chewing sugarless gum offers two advantages; first, you don’t have to worry about the sugar in your child’s mouth, and chewing gum also stimulates the production of saliva that washes away food particles and acid that lead to decay.
- Make sure your child wears a mouth guard – Dentists report that as much as 40% of dental injuries are sports-related, and 5 million teeth are avulsed (knocked-out) each year. Talk to your dentist about designing a custom mouth guard for your child to provide the ultimate in protection.
Get Your Child Into The Dentist
Of course, all of these positive steps must be supported by routine dental visits for exams and cleanings. Your child’s teeth play a crucial role at every stage of their lives, and at our Tysons Corner office, we make kids dentistry a priority!
If you would like to arrange an appointment for your child, please call us!