Are you concerned that you may have a tooth infection? Tooth infections and abscesses can develop for a variety of reasons. Oftentimes, the tooth becomes infected due to bacteria breaking through the enamel, either through a crack in the tooth or decay in the tooth.
No matter how the infection or abscess originated, it’s important to have the tooth examined by a medical professional as soon as possible if you suspect that an infection has developed. If the infection is not treated properly, it can lead to serious health problems.
Here are 5 signs your tooth may be infected.
- You’re experiencing pain in your tooth. The pain is usually pulsating or throbbing in nature and often interferes with eating.
- You are experiencing facial, lymph node, or jaw swelling. The infection may cause these areas to swell. You may also experience pain in your jaw with a tooth infection.
- You have a bad taste in your mouth that won't go away or you have persistent foul breath. An infection in your tooth can cause you to have a bad taste in your mouth that you can’t get rid of easily. You also may notice that your breath smells foul and can’t be freshened with brushing or mouthwash.
- You have a hard time moving your mouth to talk and eat. The pain and swelling caused by the infection can make moving or opening your mouth difficult.
- You have a fever or feel generally unwell. An infected tooth can cause you to run a fever, and you may not feel well overall.
If you have a fever and suspect a tooth infection, you should seek treatment immediately from a medical professional. A tooth infection can be a serious health issue. If left untreated, the infection can spread to other parts of your body.
Treating a Tooth Infection in Vienna, VA
Your dentist will need to examine you in his or her office to determine how to treat your infected tooth. If the pulp inside your tooth has become infected, a root canal will be necessary.
Your dentist will drill into your tooth and remove the infected area. Once the infection has been removed, the area will be cleaned and the dentist will place a crown over the tooth to protect it from further damage. You will likely be prescribed antibiotics to help you fight the infection as well.
If you need treatment for a tooth infection or tooth abscess, reach out to Dr. Ardalan Sanati or Dr. Shohreh Shahram at Tysons Dentistry. They are both skilled dentists who are dedicated to keeping your teeth healthy in a relaxed and welcoming environment.